(Tarleton State Athletics courtesy photo)

SAN ANTONIO – A pair of solo home runs from Alec Humphreys and Collin Scribner was more than enough support for the Tarleton pitching staff, led by starter Matt Herrick, in a 2-0 shutout of No. 38 St. Mary’s Friday.

Humphreys wasted no time getting Tarleton State on the board with a lead-off long ball in the top of the first to give Herrick a run of support before ever taking the hill – but when he did, the sophomore from Naaman Forest took care of the rest.

Herrick sat down the first six Rattler batters in order before St. Mary’s finally broke through on the hit column in the top of the third. The Rattlers threatened with the bases loaded and one out, but Herrick tip-toed out of danger by turning a 1-2-3 double play to end the inning and keep the Texans up a run.

After a scoreless fourth inning, Tarleton State tacked on an insurance run in the fifth with a home run on the first collegiate hit of redshirt-freshman Collin Scribner to lead off the fifth inning.

Herrick continued to deal over the next three innings, allowing only one base runner on an error in the bottom of the sixth, and wrapped up his day with seven innings of shutout baseball. He was replaced by Eythan Lenz, the LSC Pitcher of the Week, who set down two of the three batters he faced – with the other reaching on an error – before Seth Hallmark won the lefty-lefty matchup for the final out of the inning.

In the bottom of the ninth, John Kresta sat down the side in order to earn his first career save for Tarleton.

Tarleton managed only three hits on the day, finding offense from the two solo jacks and a bunt single from Evan Robinson in the eighth. Robinson also stole a base off his single.

Meanwhile, Herrick earned his second win of the season with seven scoreless innings, over which he allowed just three hits and struck out four. Lenz, Hallmark and Kresta combined to finish out the final two innings, facing just one batter over the minimum on the eighth inning defensive miscue.

Tarleton State and St. Mary’s will finish out this series Saturday afternoon beginning at 1 p.m. for the first game of a doubleheader at Dickson Stadium in San Antonio.